Friday, January 13, 2012

Fighting frustrations - 60 days to a new me

Gentle Reader,

There is nothing like a string of bad luck to make you realize that certain things frustrate you easily. In my case it's 3 major things all coming together as the perfect storm of yuck! My weight loss, my car, and my job. As I look at them right now, all of them are sucking and driving me to the point of losing it. For those of you that know me, you know I'm pretty calm and collected; striving not to raise my voice and yell unless necessary. But KD is trying to tell me that maybe I need a release valve, maybe I need to get angry more and "stand up for myself."  So this is my start...

When it comes to the first week of weight loss, I've been pretty good. I've eaten breakfast everyday, I've been sensible about what I'm eating for lunch (no fast food, Yippee), I've been eating good dinners (thanks, KD for the pork chops and spinach) and I've been exercising (well, I've been walking to and from the L/commuting for work, but it's more than I was doing before so its a start. But its a struggle. I'm frustrated that I can't live on Gummy Bears, I'm frustrated that I can't drink more beer, and I'm frustrated with being fat.

I have to do something about it. It's not enough to just talk about it, I have to take action. Over the next 60 days, I'm going to figure out what exercise is going to take me to the next step in my journey. It might be boxing, it might be muay thai, it might be wrestling, it might be rowing, I have no idea yet, but its gonna be something.

Then there is my car. It must have been made under a bad sign or something, because since June, if it can go wrong it has. Let's review

Massive hail damage, including broken front and rear windshields
Brakes fail while on the road
blow out a tire
have a spin out on major expressway (hit the wall of the Dan Ryan)
bent a wheel
broke a tie rod and assembly

But, with the car, I have to look at the bright side. I have to thank God for Brothers like Mike Burrell and his wife, who loaned me the car when I didn't have a car to get to work and then sold it to me. I'm eternally grateful and he's shown me exactly what Brotherhood and membership in our Strong Band really means.

But I'm just frustrated. I hate taking the train (check that, a bus, a train, and then a drive or 2 more buses if  my buddy/work wife couldn't pick me up) and I hate not being able to get what I need, when I need it. I hate not being able to see my gf after work since by the time I get home and try to get to her on the other side of the city, i'd have to turn around right when I get there. I talk to her everyday, but I miss her.

On this over the next 60 days, i'm going to have the car fixed and ready to go. I'm saving to get a newer vechicle and i'm planning to make that happen by the end of the year

I'm not going to get into my job other than to say I'm angry and frsutrated and I'm going to take steps to make changes so I'm not worried about my next meal or if I can pay a bill. Watch out world.

See ya soon


1 comment:

John D. said...

Great start! Now that you've named three aggrivations, why not also list three tangible things that really get you fired up (in a good way), and be sure to address those every day as well!