Monday, January 23, 2012

Raising the boy - raising the bar

Gentle Reader...

So last night I was having a conversation with my ex-wife (not to worry, we get along; our goal is to raise the best kids we can) where she told/asked me the following: "I don't know how to raise a boy...what do I do?"

I laughed, and told her firstly that WE have to raise a boy, and get him to manhood. I assured her that we would, along with help from all of the other grownups in his life. I then told her that we'll even turn him into a gentleman. We will give him manners, and refinement, and show him which fork to use and why he should get up from the table when a woman does.

I said something then, that I don't say often, but it rings with me all of the time. My parents used to say that my mom made me a man, but my father made me a gentleman. It was my mother who often yelled at me to stand up straight, to wash my face, to brush my teeth, brush my hair, and look presentable. It was she who would knock a hat or cap off of my head at the table (or anywhere indoors). It was she who would have popped me if my pants were sagging, or if I popped off at a grown up, because, contrary to popular opinion, men don't just pop off for no reason.

On the other hand, it was my Pop who ensured I was taught about style, and class, and gentlemanly behavior. He taught me about simple things that make a big difference, like why you should never wear a suit with unshined shoes,  the wonders of the pocket square, and why buying quality versus quantity (and buying versus renting in the tuxedo market) is the way to go. He referred to it as the extra 10%. He got that from esquire magazine (I think, but i never saw him read that magazine ever) , but I use it all of the time.

Its that 10% that I will use to raise the boy. My goal isn't like my fathers - his was to make Mini-Me - but to raise a son, a young man, that will carry on the DUMAS name with all of the prestige and swagger it deserves. If I can do that, we'll be OK.

Before I sign off today, know that we also worry about our daughter as well. Just she seems like she's going to be fine and we're just here to ensure the train doesn't fall off of the track.

Talk soon.

Marc...

p.s - In a total pivot, Congrats to my Chapter at DePaul with their new 16 man pledge class for the winter. Considering at one time, those were the sizes of our fall classes, we've come a long way. High! High! High!


No comments: