Monday, January 16, 2012

The Inspector, Dr. King and me...

Gentle Reader,
So, yesterday was the anniversary of my Pop's passing. He left us in 1994, when I was all of 22. He was a contemporary of Dr. King; i'm not saying they were buddies or even knew each other (even though they had met) but they were both doing what they could for equal rights for all at the same time, just in different ways. If not for the things they were doing, from marching to filing suits against the unjust, to taking beatings at the hands of those who were sworn to protect them, I would be a very different person than I am today. 
If Dr. King doesn't push for the Civl Rights Act and the Voting Rights act, then Mr and Mrs Loving don't decide to get married and then get arrested and then have the temerity to sue the state of Virginia and take that all the way to the Supreme Court. If that doesn't happen, I can't go and marry a girl from Wisconsin who is as white as snow and have the 2 prettiest children you have ever seen (that's not the proud dad in me talking, TJ does have the greatest head of hair in America, and no one is cuter than my Opie, just ask her...)
If the Inspector, and my mother, doesn't decide that he's always going to show his son what it means to be not just a man, but a gentleman, then I wouldn't ever be able to be the fraternity man that I am. I wouldn't be able to start to show my children how to be a parent. I wouldn't know what to do to have any type of success in this world, but thanks to the Inspector, I do.
Thanks to them both. I know they are watching down on me and I hope they are happy with what they see, not just from me, but from all of us.
I miss you, Pop. Kiss Mom for me
Marc... 

No comments: